The Mark Twain House & Museum
351 Farmington Ave, Hartford, CT 06105
The Mark Twain House grounds are open dawn to dusk year-round. House tours and museum admission are available seven days a week April through December, and six days a week (closed on Tuesdays) January through March.
See below for a brief description.
About The Mark Twain House & Museum
Founded in 1929 and operating as a public museum since 1974, the Mark Twain House & Museum celebrates the life and legacy of Samuel L. Clemens as one of our nation’s defining cultural figures. The museum serves the public by preserving the historic Mark Twain House which has been meticulously restored over a period of many years and is designated a National Historic Landmark. The Museum also offers exhibitions and numerous educational and cultural programs for students, teachers, and the public.
When the Clemens family lived here, there was a large greenhouse on the lawn between their house and the home of Harriet Beecher Stowe. Olivia Clemens loved having fresh flowers in the house and the family employed gardeners who tended to the greenhouse plants and the many gardens around the property. The first gardener who worked for the family was Daniel Molloy. Olivia gave Daniel a book called Practical Floriculture which still exists. Daniel marked up this book in ways that give us some evidence of what might have been planted. The second gardener was John O’Neill. John was particularly well known in Hartford for growing beautiful flowers.
Today, the Mark Twain House gardens are under the watchful care of University of Connecticut Master Gardeners. For over a decade they have worked with the plantings and landscaping on the grounds, combining a staggering amount of horticultural skill with an artist’s eye, and creatively incorporating historical hints and tributes into their work .
For hours and admission information, visit https://marktwainhouse.org/